6 Ways Music Affects the Brain
A lot of people listen to music. However, many people do not know the effects music has on the mind. Since music plays such an integral part of our daily lives, we decided to write about the ways music affects the brain functions. Here are 6 ways music affects the brain.
1. The Type of Music You Listen to Reflects Your Personality: Research has shown that your music preferences may have a reflection on your personality. For example, people who listen to pop music tend to have extroverted personalities. People who prefer pop music tend to have high self-esteem. However, they tend to be less creative and more stressed out than other people. Rap listeners tend to be more confident and gregarious. Rock music fans tend to be more easy going, introverted and creatively inclined. Indie listeners are also shown to be introverted and creative. However, they may suffer from low self-esteem. People who listen to dance music are often more assertive and outgoing. Classical music aficionados tend to be more laid back and quiet. Jazz listeners are often extraverted and confident. Keep in mind this is not applicable to everyone. In other words, it is a general rule.
2. Music Helps Us Exercise: Often we see people listening to music with their headphones at the gym. Listening to music gives the brain attention. In fact, it draws brain’s attention from fatigue. People who listen to faster upbeat music tend to push themselves harder compared to people who do not listen to music.
3. Music Can Be A Reflection of Your Mood: Cognitive research has shown that our brains tend to respond differently to happy and sad music. The way we interpret a piece of music can be expressed through our facial expressions.
4. Music Can Benefit Your Health: A good way to reduce high blood pressure is to listen to relaxing music. Another way music can benefit our health is that it can enhance our immunity. Music has been shown to reduce the amount of cortisol in the body. Cortisol is a stress related hormone. People who have a higher level of cortisol in their body tend to have a weaker immune system.
5. Music Can Increase Productivity at Work: People often listen to music while they are on the job. Did you know that music can help to get more work done? It is important to note that only classical music and rock music increase work efficiency.
6. Music Reduces Stress: How does music relieve stress? It can help relax tense muscles and make you have less negative emotions. Many people consider music to be therapeutic when they are feeling sad and depressed.