5 Things That Can Hurt the Brain
The brain is a vital organ that must be kept in the best shape. In my previous blog post, I briefly touched upon certain brain myths. In this post we explore things that can severely hinder your brain. Some of the things are internal, and one can easily rectify them. However, there are some external factors beyond our control that can damage our brains. Without further ado here are 5 things that can hurt the brain.
1. Alcohol and Cigarettes: Delayed reaction time, memory problems and slurred speech are some of ways the brain can be impaired. However, many of these symptoms are temporary, and they go away pretty quickly. On the other hand, people who are heavy drinkers are more vulnerable to brain damage. The most common consequence of heavy alcohol use is liver disease. People who smoke cigarettes are more likely to get a stroke. A stroke occurs when blood flow to a certain part of the brain stops. CogniFit offers a specific brain training program designed to reduce the effects of cognitive decline following a stroke.
2. Lack of Sleep: Doctors generally recommend we get around eight hours of sleep each night. When we are sleeping, our bodies repair and new cells are created. When people don’t get a proper night’s sleep, their cells are not being regenerated and communication with the brain decreases. Both long-term sleep deprivation and short-term sleep deprivation have severe consequences on the brain.
3. Lack of Physical Activity: Many people have sedentary lifestyles, and this is detrimental to their health and well-being. In fact, this type of lifestyle is one of the leading causes of preventable death worldwide. A lack of exercise can lead to chronic diseases, and has been linked to the obesity epidemic in the United States. Some ways a sedentary lifestyle can affect our health include: high blood pressure, diabetes, colon cancer and osteoporosis. New research points to sedentary passive behavior becoming problematic for dementia risk – https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-022-01655-y
4. Not Having Breakfast: They say Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Is it true? Yes. Not having breakfast every morning can affect the amount of blood sugar you have in your body. The amount of vital nutrients in your body decreases when you skip breakfast. Make sure you have vitamins every morning, and have foods that contain a good amount of protein. Also, try to eat the best foods and nutrition for a healthy brain.
5. Low Mental Stimulation: Technically, the brain is a muscle. With that said, the brain needs to be exercised in order for it to be in the best shape. One way to increase brain stimulation is to play brain games. However, please make sure the brain games you play are scientifically validated. CogniFit’s brain games are scientifically proven to enhance your brain.